Scientific Computing Experts (LRZ, SuperMUC)
Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, LRZ) is part of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities. LRZ will operate one of the most powerful and energy efficient high performance computing systems in Europe. The new high-end system (SuperMUC) will have a peak performance of 3 PetaFlop/s and contains more than 150,000 cores. Additional Linux-clusters and visualization systems supplement it.
We offer you the opportunity to work with world-leading computer systems, applications and tools in many different research areas. For the support of the users and applications LRZ is looking for
Scientific Computing Experts
The successful applicants should fill the gap between day-to-day user support and in depth algorithmic research. The positions are available immediately. Applications will be accepted until May 31st, 2012.
Required experiences and skills:
• PhD or university (post) graduate degree, diploma, master’s degree or equivalent in a scientifically oriented subject (computational science, mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences etc.)
• Ability to lead scientific and technical efforts in HPC
• Good HPC skills, knowledge of massively parallel high-performance algorithms programming languages and libraries (MPI and OpenMP) as well as performance analysis tools
• Initiative, capacity for teamwork, and creativity
• Good oral presentation and writing skills in German and/or English
• Experience with large-scale parallel application development, debugging and performance analysis and tuning
• Experience in managing scientific projects and/or teams
• Optimization, scaling and performance improvement of strategic large-scale applications
• Performance analysis and benchmarking
• Identification and solution of user problems
• Contact with scientific stakeholders and users
• Promotion and organization of scientific outreach activities through presentations and providing written materials
• Writing of reports, grant applications, and documentation
• Stimulation of new developments in HPC
Due to its state-of-the-art computing facilities and its proximity to the Munich universities, LRZ offers a very stimulating and innovative environment. Progressive policies such as flexible working hours support the combination of work and family life. We offer a pleasant and easygoing work environment in an internationally recognized HPC team with many years of experience that you can draw on for support, while also having ample opportunity to work independently and follow individual preferences. In addition you have the option of pursuing advanced training or a doctorate (PhD) at one of the many nearby universities.
Salary is determined by the German trade agreement for public service (TV-L.) The position is time-limited, initially to two or three years with the intention of prolongation. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. Severely disabled persons will be hired preferentially over others with equal qualifications. Due to export control of supercomputers restrictions for nationality may apply.
For further information please contact:
Dr. Matthias Brehm
Group Leader Application Support
Phone: +49 89 35831 8773
Preferrably email your application with resume/CV, certificates, reports and letters of recommendation to:
apel-at-rz.de and brehm-at-lrz.de
or send it by postal service to:
Leibniz Supercomputing Centre
Mrs. Hannelore Apel
Keyword: HPC 2012/05
85748 Garching near Munich