University of Melbourne
Salary: $76,075 - $82,331 p.a. (HEW 7) or $85,569 - $92,618 p.a. (HEW 8) plus 17% superannuation. (Level of appointment is subject to qualifications and experience)
We're looking for an experienced Development & Operations Engineer to help us further develop the Research Cloud, our cloud Infrastructure-as-a-service for the research community. You are someone who's strong in either Development or Operations, and you know how to bridge that divide and you appreciate both sides of the camp.
You will work within the Research Services Dev Ops team of system administrators and developers to consistently iterate and deliver new features of high quality and stability. You will bring cloud management and sysadmin skills for application deployment and managing clusters on KVM and OpenStack platforms. You will assist in the build engineering activities and be responsible for release management of production cloud.
Verbal and written communications skills are essential, as you'll be regularly interacting with both tech-savvy researchers and non-technical researchers, as well as people who are developing applications for the cloud.
• Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering or equivalent industry experience
• Have built systems and infrastructure supporting applications in a production environment
• Experience with administering Linux system and server infrastructure
• Strong understanding of network technologies (DNS, NFS)
• Experience coding for task automation
• Knowledge of virtualization environments such as OpenStack, KVM
• Strong development experience with at least one of Python or Ruby (or similar development tool)
• Flexibility and adaptability for working in an dynamic environment
• Experience operating a 24/7 production application
• Large installation, multi-site experience
• Experience working on open source projects